“And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee.
And he saith, Master, say on.
There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both.
Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most.
And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.”
Luke 7:40-43 KJV
Mary Magdalene’s box of very precious ointment
Tissot, James Jacques Joseph (1836-1902). The Life of Our Saviour Jesus Christ: Three Hundred and Sixty-five Compositions from the Four Gospels, with Notes and Explanatory Drawings by J. James Tissot; Notes Translated by Mrs. Arthur Bell (N. d’Anvers).
EDITION A: 4 vols. New York: The McClure-Tissot Company, 1899.
• Vol. 1: paginated 1-120, with 8 unnumbered pages of notes and indices
• Vol. 2: paginated 121-261, with 8 unnumbered pages of notes and indices
• Vol. 3: paginated 1-136, with 7 unnumbered pages of notes and indices
• Vol. 4: paginated 137-272, with 9 unnumbered pages of notes and indices
• Indices: Full-Page Illustrations; Illustrations in the Text; Supplementary Illustrations: Facsimile Wood Engravings After Drawings